[tlhIngan Hol] wikiwiki (was Re: Klingon Weather Forecast)

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Thu Aug 3 00:48:26 PDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 3:32 AM, Tim Stoffel <tim at lionlamb.us> wrote:

> Maybe its a regional dialect thing. Everyone here pronounces 'wiki'
> like it rhhymes with 'mickey'.

It's more like a *lack of regional dialect* thing. Those who know the
language it is derived from are relatively few, compared to those who have
read the Internet term.

When I'm talking about the pseudo-markup for quick editing of web pages, I
generally pronounce "wiki" with a first vowel kind of between the "i" in
"bit" and the "ee" in "beet". It's sort of a compromise between the
Hawaiian origin and the Anglicized rendition. But if I'm invoking the
reduplicated "wikiwiki" for "really quick", I generally pronounce it with
all "ee" sounds. As with the obvious cognates "caffeine" and {qa'vIn}, I
don't feel the need to slavishly maintain the pronunciation from one
language when I'm using the word in another.

But if you insist that it *has* to be "weekee" because of its etymology,
you should also be pronouncing "encyclopedia" with a hard "k" sound because
of its Greek origin. :-P

-- ghunchu'wI'