[tlhIngan Hol] Using :

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Aug 17 08:56:36 PDT 2017

On 8/17/2017 11:36 AM, Lieven wrote:
> On 8/17/2017 11:18 AM, De'vID wrote:
>>> It might be that Kruge and Valkris come from a region of the Empire
>>> where speaking like this is common.
>
> Am 17.08.2017 um 17:27 schrieb SuStel:
>> I think the intention was that this is colloquial standard Klingon,
>> and the stuff we got later, like the stuff in /The Klingon Way,/ is
>> formal standard Klingon. We're just fuddy-duddies.
>
> Another thing to note is that military speach in Klingon is
> abbreviated very often, like {baH} instead of {yIbaH}, so {matHa',
> DoS: 'entepray'} is just perrfectly brief, saying nothing unncecessary.

As chapter seven of TKD notes, Clipped Klingon is used commonly in both
military and everyday Klingon. "Extensively" is the word Okrand uses.

    The preceding grammatical sketch describes “proper” Klingon, that
    is, Klingon as it is taught in Klingon schools or to non-Klingons.
    In actual day-to-day use, however, spoken Klingon may vary somewhat
    from its “proper” form, usually by leaving some elements out. This
    abbreviated form of speaking, called Clipped Klingon by Klingon
    grammarians, is heard quite frequently in military contexts where
    quick—rather than eloquent—communication is deemed a virtue.
    Probably for similar reasons, Clipped Klingon is used quite
    extensively in all walks of Klingon life.

So Clipped Klingon is not eloquent, but it is common and used for quick
communication. Don't offer Clipped Klingon when people ask for
inscriptions, tattoos, or song lyrics, but do use it when speaking casually.