[tlhIngan Hol] Pluralizing inherently plural nouns

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 08:23:16 PDT 2017

(KGT 49f)L
> The word mangpu' is seldom used, but it is not ungrammatical. It carries with it
> the notion that there are individuals (more than one {mang}) making up the group
(KGT 33-34)
> {-mey} to these nouns [...] to indicate that the items are scattered about ({jengva'mey}, plates scattered all over the place)

Does adding the {-pu'} to the singular form of an inherently plural
noun, as in the case of {mangpu'}, indicate "soldiers scattered all
over the place" ?

(KGT 33-34):
> Children seem to be aware of the existence of the inherently plural forms, however, for they
> use them as well, though usually with the suffix {-mey} superfluously appended: {chamey} (torpedoeses),
> {ngopmey} (plateses).

So, as I understand this - and someone correct me if I'm wrong - it
isn't grammatically wrong to add a plural suffix, to an inherently
plural noun; it is just that the resulting word/meaning is
strange/awkward.

(KGT 33-34):
> Children, however, tend to use the plural pronoun {bIH} (they) with {ngop} (as well as
> with {jengva'mey} and the redundantly suffixed {ngopmey}):  {nuqDaq bIH ngop'e'?} ("Where are the plates?").

And here:

The use of {bIH} with {ngop}, is grammatically wrong.
The use of {bIH} with {ngopmey}, isn't grammatically wrong.
The {nuqDaq bIH ngop'e'?} ("Where are the plates?"), is grammatically wrong.

If these conclusions are wrong, then someone please correct me.

qunnoq