[tlhIngan Hol] Reversing the order of {-vo'}

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 08:52:06 PDT 2017

This thread is slowly turning into a nightmare..

There is a sentence, which we are trying to translate; this sentence
is "he returns from the great hall at the Federation command centre on
Earth".

But the problem is, there is obviously some confusion with regards to
what actually its trying to say. Does it mean : "he returns (wherever
it is he is returning) from the great hall (which is) at the
Federation command centre on Earth", or "he returns from the great
hall (at Kronos) to the Federation command centre on Earth" ?

Because if it actually means "he returns from the great hall (at
Kronos) to the Federation command centre on Earth", then I can't
understand how the {tera' DIvI' ra'ghom qach vaS'a'vo' chegh} can be
correct, without a {-Daq} included somewhere in the sentence.

What I'm trying to understand (and the more this thread continues, the
"trying" becomes "struggling"), is why -as De'vID wrote- "the pattern
is {X-vo' Y-Daq chegh} and not {Y-Daq X-vo' chegh}".

I re-thought this, and I came to this conclusion:

The pattern can be only {X-vo' Y-Daq chegh} because the {chegh} is
given as "return (to)" and not "return from". So, the object of the
{chegh} has to be the destination, and not the starting point. The
starting point comes first (at the left of the sentence) marked with
{-vo'}, the destination comes right before the {chegh} made clear by
the use of a prefix indicating as an object the word before the
{chegh}. If we want, we can place a {-Daq} on the noun of the
destination, but if we have used on {chegh} a prefix indicating an
object it is redundant. And if we have a noun bearing the {-Daq} right
before the {chegh}, with the {chegh} having a no-object prefix then
the "returning" is taking place "by the means" of the {-Daq}ed noun.
Alternatively we can have a {-Daq}ed noun at the beginning of the
sentence, followed by a suffix-less noun and then by the {chegh}
having as its object the suffix-less noun; in this case the returning
takes place "by the means" of the {-Daq}ed noun, to the destination
that is written just before the {chegh}.

qunnoq