[tlhIngan Hol] Misty mountains cold...

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Aug 10 06:36:52 PDT 2017

On 8/9/2017 6:40 PM, Jeremy Silver wrote:
>> A literal translation (without attempting to reproduce the poetry):
>>
>> *vI'laS HuDmey bIr Hay HopDaq
>> wutlh pa'mey jaQDaq DIS qanDaq
>> 'IDnar qol'om wov wInejmeH malengnISchoH qaSpa' jajlo'.*
>>
> That's a very good start I think.
>
> But it's not merely poetry, it's a song that needs to rhyme and fit the music.

Poetry includes rhyme and meter. I was explicitly translating into prose.

I actively dislike rhyming in Klingon, since you're mostly just
repeating or rhyming suffixes. I prefer alliterating, though making sure
the stress falls on the alliterating syllables is tough with *qaghwI'*
stealing the stress all the time.

I have yet to find a poetic form that especially suits Klingon.