[tlhIngan Hol] Using object prefix with {-vo'}

Aurélie Demonchaux demonchaux.aurelie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 07:18:32 PDT 2017

> *juHDaq vIjaH* is considered redundant because the object of *jaH* inherently
> includes a locative sense. Anything you *jaH* is something you're *jaH*
> -ing *to.*
>
> There is no inherent "away from" sense to *jaH,* so *juHvo' vIjaH* is
> probably an awkward phrase, if not downright disallowed.

On the other hand, the Klingon Dictionary uses the below examples:

{pa'Daq yIjaH} <Go to the room.> (section 3.3.5., p27)
{pa'vo' yIjaH} <Leave the room!> (section 3.3.5., p28)
{jolpa'Daq yIjaH} <Go to the transport room!> (section 7.1, p73)

So it seems ok and cannon to use -Daq and -vo' suffixes along with <jaH>.

@mayqel
Regarding {juHvo' vIjaH}, I don't think it's inherently wrong, but there
might be a shade of nuance in the meaning compared with {juHvo' jIjaH}.

Perhaps {juHvo' vIjaH} would insist more on the fact that you're *specifically
*going AWAY from the house, whereas {juHvo' jIjaH} would just mean "going
somewhere, which happens to be outside/ away from the house".

That's just my personal feeling though, perhaps other people would
understand it differently.