[tlhIngan Hol] be-verbs used as adjectives and the {-chu'}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 8 09:39:08 PDT 2017

We’ve had this discussion before.  This is a case where we must agree to differ.  I was unaware of the apparently unique paq’batlh example.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

But how is {Sutamchu'} different from {Sutamqu'}?  You’re either quiet or you’re not. I suppose in context there’s an implied action or effort:  keeping or forcing yourselves to be quiet {tam} under the circumstances, though I might have said {qatlh SutamtaH}.  Of course, this is poetry and could be word play – like everything in the paq’batlh! - but at least it shows the pattern is possible… though extremely rare. (I vaguely remember another example, but can’t think of it at the moment.)

--Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol [mailto:tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org] On Behalf Of SuStel