[tlhIngan Hol] wikiwiki (was Re: Klingon Weather Forecast)

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Aug 2 12:01:40 PDT 2017

Am 02.08.2017 um 20:47 schrieb Michael Roney, Jr.:
> Lieven, if you wouldn't mind, could you inform Maltz that "wiki" is a
> Hawaiian word and not an English one.
> And then I'll likely shut up on the matter.

I'll try what I can do, because I am not in direct contact with Maltz.

I guess the basic problem is that Maltz is a Klingon informant in
contact with the federation, whose primary language is "Federation
Standard", i.e. English. This explains why nearly all of the loanword
are based on English and not anything else.

For instance, see {pIqarD}, which should be "pIyqagh" from the French
pronunciation, or {'anyan} and other fruits which is different in most
languages on earth.

You may also see it from this perspective: Maltz was asked if he new
what a wiki is by an English speaker. Maltz didn't know the word and
just repeated it how he heard it, and that's what Marc Okrand wrote down.

Am 02.08.2017 um 20:56 schrieb nIqolay Q:
 > One could make the argument that it's an English word that was derived
 > from Hawaiian. The English word "wiki" doesn't mean the same as the
 > Hawaiian, for instance.

Good point. English speakers - especially computer geeks - see the word
wiki as a term for some computer system. Most don't even knwo what it
meant initially.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh