[tlhIngan Hol] Is Star Trek: Discovery a new canon category?

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 11:17:34 PDT 2017

We know that Okrand wasn't directly involved in Star Trek: Discovery,
but that the production team went to great lengths and worked with Qov
to make the dialogue properly Okrandian Klingon. We haven't seen the
result, and maybe some things were edited in post-production and have
to be retrofitted (like with the movies).

My question is, would you consider the Klingon dialogue, etc., in Star
Trek: Discovery to be Okrandian canon?

These are the categories of Okrand-related canon that I can think of:

1. Things Okrand wrote or said himself (the books, tapes, interviews
in HolQeD, reveals at the qep'a' and qepHom'a')
2. Things done by Klingonists in which Okrand had major involvement
(paq'batlh... anything else in this category?)
3. Things done by Klingonists in which Okrand had some involvement
(I'm not sure the extent of his involvement in Klingon Christmas
Carol? Maybe that belongs in category #2?... TalkNow! Klingon,
Festival of the Spoken Nerd)
4. Things done by non-Klingonists but licensed by Paramount/CBS (Keith
R.A. DeCandido and a few other authors, the Haynes BoP book)
5. Things done by Klingonists with minimal involvement from Okrand but
licensed by Paramount/CBS (Star Trek: Discovery)

I guess maybe Star Trek: Discovery is similar to category #3, but it's
still in its own category because it's on a STAR TREK TV SHOW, and
thus (especially to the world outside of Klingonists) more "official".

Are people going to accept sentences from Star Trek: Discovery as
canonical Klingon? (For example, no objection if I use sentences from
the show as examples in {boQwI'}?)

--
De'vID