[tlhIngan Hol] Special forms of law' puS

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 06:15:15 PDT 2017

There are certain special forms of law' puS constructions, which are
discussed at HolQeD 13.1, p.8-10, Mar. 2004.

Because there are more chances for me to visit Qo'noS, than ever acquiring
any HolQeD issues, I would like to ask:

1. At this HQ issue it says:

"To say that something is as X as something else [...], or {law'} is used
with {rap} or {nIb} (the latter of which implies the two things being
compared are exactly the same in some way).

And the following examples are given:

{tlhIngan woch law' tera'ngan woch rap}
The klingon is as tall as the terran
{tlhIngan woch law' tera'ngan woch nIb}
The klingon is (exactly) as tall as the terran

The question I want to ask is: Is it possible at the examples above, to
have {puS} instead of {law'}, and if yes, then how does that alter the
meaning ?

2. At the same HQ issue it says:

"It is also possible to use {puS} with {rap} or {nIb}, but that carries a
connotation of disparagement".

What does this mean ? Can someone who knows for certain write an example ?

3. At the same HQ issues it also says:

"To say that something is not as X as something else, {pIm} is used in
place of the second verb in the pair". And the following example is given:

{QuchlIj vIl law' QuchwIj vIl pIm}
Your forehead is not as ridgy as my forehead

I want to ask, if in this sentence in the place of {law'} we could have
{puS}. And if the answer is yes, then how does that alter the meaning ?

qunnoq