[tlhIngan Hol] With "joq" - how do we choose the right verb prefix ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 31 11:08:48 PDT 2017

I searched my notes for examples of the conjunctions {joq} and {ghap}  in a complete sentences…

joq                        or,  and/or (noun conj):

       ta'meyDaj boqawDI' SuHemjaj
           mu'meyDaj bojatlhDI' Suvaljaj
          not ta'meyDaj mu'meyDaj joq bolIjjaj

May you remember his deeds with pride,
   May you recite his words with wisdom,
   May they forever be unforgettable.  (PB)

Unfortunately the prefix {bo-} means “you (pl.) [do something to] him/her/it/them” so this is inconclusive.

{joq} was once apparently omitted/implied in SkyBox S21:

 qagh, ro'qegh'Iwchab, targh tIq Sop 'e' lungIl Humanpu' puS
  Few humans dare to eat gagh, rokeg blood pie, or heart of targ.  (S21)

ghap                     or,  either/or (noun conj):

  HIq qIj reghuluS 'Iw HIq ghap jab
  They serve Black Ale or Regulan bloodwine. (CK)

{A B ghap jab} “they serve them” not {lujab} “they serve it”

--
Voragh