[tlhIngan Hol] With "joq" - how do we choose the right verb prefix ?

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Thu Aug 31 10:55:02 PDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 12:56 PM, Aurélie Demonchaux <
demonchaux.aurelie at gmail.com> wrote:

> While discussing on the "Learn Klingon" group on Facebook, we wondered how
> to choose the correct verb prefix when "joq" (and / or) is used in the
> object and / or subject of the sentence.
> [...]
> if it were just a "je" we'd use "DI-" without hesitating, or if it were a
> "ghap" we'd use "wI-", but with joq... ?
> Has it already been discussed at some point what to do when you can't
> determine whether a verb's object / subject is singular or plural ?

I don't think there is a prescriptive answer to this question. My instinct
is to avoid the situation, the way I often do with English sentences that
call for an assumption of gender when it's not important to the idea. (I
dislike the "singular they", but I don't have a problem making entire
sentences plural in order to use "they" and "them" instead of "he or she"
and "him or her".)

Failing that, I usually go with whatever is more likely to be the case. In
the {vIraS Hol tlhIngan Hol joq} example, I would arbitrarily call it
plural, mostly because I think most people who would reject learning French
would not be part of the audience.

-- ghunchu'wI'