[tlhIngan Hol] With "joq" - how do we choose the right verb prefix ?

Aurélie Demonchaux demonchaux.aurelie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 09:56:00 PDT 2017

Hello all,

While discussing on the "Learn Klingon" group on Facebook, we wondered how
to choose the correct verb prefix when "joq" (and / or) is used in the
object and / or subject of the sentence.

If we have the structure:

noun1 noun2 joq + verb

Do we consider that the object of the verb is singular or plural ?

Using an example sentence: We need to learn French and / or Klingon.

1/ vIraS Hol tlhIngan Hol joq *wI*ghojnIS.
2/ vIraS Hol tlhIngan Hol joq *DI*ghojnIS

if it were just a "je" we'd use "DI-" without hesitating, or if it were a
"ghap" we'd use "wI-", but with joq... ?

Has it already been discussed at some point what to do when you can't
determine whether a verb's object / subject is singular or plural ?

Thanks in advance :)
Aurélie