[tlhIngan Hol] Question marks next to nouns

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Aug 31 06:42:58 PDT 2017

On 8/31/2017 7:33 AM, Lieven wrote:
> Am 31.08.2017 um 12:53 schrieb De'vID:
>> In the TKD section on pronunciation, it says that an echo follows {'}
>> if the speaker is excited. That might be what's happening there.
>
> Trust me, I listened to this many times, and it's more than just an
> echo. He definitely says a separated syllable, even with a short
> pause: {'entepray'-'a'}.
>
> He even changes his face, lifting up his eyebrows before saying {'a'}.
> On the other hand, his intonation or tone does not indicate a
> question. So maybe he says "Enterprise. Ah."

If I had to put English words to Klaa's expression and tone in that
moment (I just rewatched it several times), I'd make them "/Enterprise,/
eh?" or "/Enterprise,/ huh?" He's not acting excited or surprised, and
it's not an echo syllable. He's musing. He then pauses, then says *qIrq
Duj 'oH* in a ruminating tone. I'm forced to conclude that he was using
the verb suffix *-'a'* without a verb, meaning something like /is that so?/