[tlhIngan Hol] -meH nouns

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 30 11:32:40 PDT 2017

I’m not quite sure I understand what Lieven’s FaceBook critic meant by “some kind of tool”, but here are a few purpose clauses that probably don’t – depending on how you analyze them - involve “purpose nouns”:

Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH
How much do you want for that? TKD

cha'puj vIngevmeH chaw' HInobneS
Give me a permit to sell dilithium, your honor. PK

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
It is a good day to die. TKW

bIQapqu'meH tar DaSop 'e' DatIvnIS
To really succeed, you must enjoy eating poison. TKW

HIvmeH Duj So'lu'
A ship cloaks in order to attack. TKW

noH QapmeH wo' Qaw'lu'chugh yay chavbe'lu' 'ej wo' choqmeH
 may' DoHlu'chugh lujbe'lu'
Destroying an empire to win a war is no victory, and ending
 a battle to save an empire is no defeat. TKW

vISeHmeH Hoch nuHmey Qay!
[Transfer] All weapons to my control. (Clipped?) (ST5 NOTES)

motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh cha' tlhIngan Duj jIH'a'
The main viewer on a Klingon ship is usually overlaid with
 a complex target acquisition grid. SP3

luchovmeH 'oy'naQmey lo'
[Warriors] who test him with painstiks. S9

labmeH 'evnagh Se' lo' tlhIngan QumwI'
A Klingon communicator sends a signal through subspace radio. S19

ngoQvam luchavmeH ghawran maghpu' be'nI'pu'. woQ luSuqmeH
 jIjpu' chaH romuluSngan'e' je.
To this end, the sisters have acted against Gowron, going as
 far as to work with Romulan factions in order to gain power. S26

tlhutlhmeH HIq ngeb qaq law' bIQ qaq puS
Drinking fake ale is better than drinking water. TKW

jonlu'meH wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS
Our Empire's highest bounty has been placed on his head. (ST5 notes)

There are others I could post.

--Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol [mailto:tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org] On Behalf Of SuStel