[tlhIngan Hol] STID dialogue

David Holt kenjutsuka at live.com
Tue Aug 29 07:34:29 PDT 2017

jatlh André Müller

> A few of those lines were still unclear. For my Klingon course that I will teach in September and November this
> year (in Switzerland), I was preparing a discussion and translation task about these dialogues, and I think I
> understood one of the lines that have a (?) behind it.
>
> The Wiki has: {jIHvo' neH De' jIbup (?).} = "from me want data ..."
> This doesn't make much sense. I listened to the dialogue again and I think what's being said is:
>
> {jIHvo' nIHDI' jIbup.} = "When he stole from me, I quit."

I suggest {jIHvo' nIH. De' jIbop.} "He stole from me.  I am concerned with the information."

> This makes a lot of sense in the whole dialogue. I think I will correct the dialogue in the Klingon Wiki.
>
> Any idea about the other sentence?
> {tlhInganna' naQpu'a' SoH?} = "You are a definite klingon. (?)"

> I do think the dialogue is in correct Klingon, but perhaps it's something quite different, though I don't get the
> verb in the middle, a suggestion:
> {tlhIngan Da-???-pu''a' SoH?} = "Did you [naq?] a Klingon / the Klingon(s)?"
> The syllable in the middle sounds like naq or naQ, but I can't figure it out.

I don't have any great ideas on this one.  I would love to have {nej} in there except for the {-pu'} and the pronunciation.

> Also, is the second line plausible?
> {mughojmoH parmaqqaywI'.} = "My romantic partner has taught me."

> Maybe this is referring to the Klingons' surprise upon her speaking Klingon, but the sentence seems a bit out of
> context. Could the verb be something different here? Maybe the romantic partner has betrayed, wronged,
> abandoned, stolen from, ... her – but none of the verbs fit.

This scene has already been cut together and had subtitles added that do not match the lines.  I believe there was a line that the Klingon said when filmed that has already been removed.  Here is how I imagine the original was supposed to go:

U: Who is the leader?
tlh: How do you speak Klingon?
U: My lover taught me.
U: I have come here to look for someone.
U: He stole from me.
U: I'm concerned about the information to find him and take my things.
tlh: You ??? a Klingon?
U: Yes he was my lover.
U: Now he is hiding in the ruins of this city.
tlh: You lie!
U: Then kill me!
U: I will certainly die with honor.

Jeremy