[tlhIngan Hol] STID dialogue

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 06:21:54 PDT 2017

Remember the Klingon dialogue between Uhura and the Klingon from Star Trek
Into Darkness? Do you also remember that the final cut was pieced together
and retranslated and re-subtitled? On YouTube you can still watch the
original cut (with wrong subtitles though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9AFnBkIRwo

The Klingon Wiki has the dialogue and explanations about this scene:

http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/ST12

A few of those lines were still unclear. For my Klingon course that I will
teach in September and November this year (in Switzerland), I was preparing
a discussion and translation task about these dialogues, and I think I
understood one of the lines that have a (?) behind it.

The Wiki has: {jIHvo' neH De' jIbup (?).} = "from me want data ..."
This doesn't make much sense. I listened to the dialogue again and I think
what's being said is:

{jIHvo' nIHDI' jIbup.} = "When he stole from me, I quit."

This makes a lot of sense in the whole dialogue. I think I will correct the
dialogue in the Klingon Wiki.

Any idea about the other sentence?
{tlhInganna' naQpu'a' SoH?} = "You are a definite klingon. (?)"

I do think the dialogue is in correct Klingon, but perhaps it's something
quite different, though I don't get the verb in the middle, a suggestion:
{tlhIngan Da-???-pu''a' SoH?} = "Did you [naq?] a Klingon / the Klingon(s)?"
The syllable in the middle sounds like naq or naQ, but I can't figure it
out.

Also, is the second line plausible?
{mughojmoH parmaqqaywI'.} = "My romantic partner has taught me."

Maybe this is referring to the Klingons' surprise upon her speaking
Klingon, but the sentence seems a bit out of context. Could the verb be
something different here? Maybe the romantic partner has betrayed, wronged,
abandoned, stolen from, ... her – but none of the verbs fit.

Apologies if this has all long been figured out years ago after the movie;
maybe the Klingon Wiki page isn't up-to-date. I'd like to present a
complete dialogue to my (future) students.

- André