[tlhIngan Hol] nuS

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Thu Aug 24 07:38:57 PDT 2017

Am 24.08.2017 um 15:36 schrieb SuStel:
> I would be more likely to invoke *Dogh* or *lI'be'* or something like that.

Actually, I recently had a translation request which had exactly that
problem, but none of the alternatives made sense.

"Our concept is so simple, it's ridiculous"
   Dogh? - no, it's not silly.
   lI'be'? - no, certainly not useless.
   'oH nuSlu'? - I dont want to ridicule it either...

After all, I realized that the expression "it's ridiculous" is sometimes
used just as an idiom meaning like "I just can believe it" or "That's
incredible".

> never tell whether she's saying something is good or bad. "That price
> was ridiculous!" is something she might say, and I can't tell if she
> means the thing was surprisingly cheap or insanely expensive.

That's what I mean. She does not want to {nuS} the price. In that
context, I would say something like {HarlaHbe' vay'} etc.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh