[tlhIngan Hol] use of {'el} with {-moH}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 21 09:03:56 PDT 2017

I freely admit that my example is wrong… that’s why I suggested someone else explain the subtleties of {‘elmoH} – which are frequently discussed on this list.  I added an unnecessary comma merely to separate the two parts of the sentence, but brackets would have done as well.  ({pa’} is probably not the best example as it means both “room” and “there(abouts)”, the latter never taking {-Daq}.)

--Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol [mailto:tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org] On Behalf Of nIqolay Q

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:00 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com<mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>> wrote:
So, the following sentence which voragh wrote:

voragh:
> pa'Daq mo’ DOG lu'elmoH
> in the room, they caused the dog to enter the cage

Is wrong, and should be {pa'Daq, dogvaD mo' lu'elmoH} ?

If I'm correct about the {-moH/-vaD} thing (and I like to think that I am, though Voragh has far more canon knowledge than I do), then yes, his example was wrong, and {pa'Daq dogvaD mo' lu'elmoH} would be correct. (The comma is probably unnecessary.)