[tlhIngan Hol] Hovtay’ HeHvo’ ‘aSralya’Daq nulabtaH VOYAGER nejwI’mey

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 21 06:55:28 PDT 2017

My mistake. I got that wrong.  I was distracted by the opportunity to finally use {‘aSralya’} and our recent {X-vo’ Y-Daq} thread.  But checking my notes I see that the object of {lab} “transmit data (away from a place)” is be the message, not the recipient:

Marc Okrand jIH.  De' potlh vIlab.
I am Marc Okrand and I bring you an important message. ('U'-MTK)

ghe'naQ Daqvo' QInvam wIlab.
We will place a homing device transmitting this message at the site of the opera. ('U'-MTK)

See also {lI’} “transmit data (to a place)”:

vIlI'lI'
I am transmitting (the data). (TKD 42)

yIlI'
transmit it! (TKD 16)

De' yIlI'.  DaH!
Transmit data. Now! (ST3)

Perhaps a better verb would have been {rI’} “hail” whose object is the recipient:

tera'vo' SarI'.
I hail you from Earth. ('U'-MTK)

chach Duj yIrI'
Get an ambulance! (TNK)

ghaH rI' 'ej quvmoH qanra' qamchIy qup'a'
He is welcomed by Kahnrah, Patriarch of Qam-Chee. PB

… or just {Qum} “communicate” by itself:

jIQum
I communicate. (KLS)

naDev bIQumqa' 'e' vItul.
[untranslated] (MO to SuStel, st.k 11/1996)

--Voragh