[tlhIngan Hol] Who does {-oy} show endearment to

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 08:11:41 PDT 2017

SuStel:
> An exception—at least in English—would be if person A
> used an endearment of person B while talking to person C;
> person C would be justified in repeating the endearment, as > it is in
the context of being what person A would say.
> A: *choHIvchugh vavoywI' vIja'!*
> C: *vavoylI' Daja'chugh qaHIvqa'.*

However the question remains..

A uses an endearment of person B while talking to person C; person C
repeats the endearment.

Is there a possibility that person C, in his effort to recreate what person
A would say, is actually showing endearment too toward person B ? Perhaps
even if he doesn't want to ?

Of course, in the above "if you attack me" example, context makes it
difficult for person C to be actually showing endearment himself toward the
father of A.

But what if we didn't have a "negative" example ? What if instead of the
{choHIvchugh} we had {choQaHchugh} ? Couldn't it here be possible of an
endearment being expressed from C, toward the "daddy" of A ?

qunnoq