[tlhIngan Hol] Using :

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Aug 17 07:08:23 PDT 2017

On 8/17/2017 9:15 AM, Lieven wrote:
> I just remembered a canon example from ST5. Only partially used in the
> film, but from Okrand's notes:
>
> vubpu' jonta' HeSwI'. wa' vub ghaH tlhIngan gharwI''e'. wa' ghaH
> tera'ngan'e'.
>
> I don't have the translation at hand, I'd say this would use a colon
> in English:
>
> "Hostages have been taken: One Klingon diplomat and one Terran."

There are also examples from /Star Trek III:/

    *matHa' DoS jonta' neH
    */Gunner: target engine only./

Ignore the subtitle. I would punctuate this as follows: *matHa', DoS:
jonta' neH.*/Gunner [comma for direct address] the target [colon for a
following explanation] engine only./

    *jabbI'ID pItlh
    */Transmission completed./

Again, ignore the subtitle. I would punctuate this as *jabbI'ID:
pItlh*/Data transmission [colon for a following description] finished./

The Klingon in /Star Trek III/ is also a warning to us not to rely on
formal grammar when in tense situations.