[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: cheH

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Aug 14 12:08:24 PDT 2017

Am 14.08.2017 um 20:58 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
> So, with regards to the "act against" translation of {magh}, we can't be
> certain that it's 100% 'oqranD-approved, right ?

If you take it very exact, than yes.

It seems obvious that the English was there first. When okrand had to
tanslate it, he searched for a suitable word. Since there was no word
meaning "act against", he probably thought like "that's quite the same
as betraying someone", so he picked that word instead. It didn't really
change the meaning of the phrase.

It's like many people like to use the word {targh} for "dog". It's not
correct, but conveys the idea.

Anyway, I would stick to the first definition magh = "betray" and regard
the other translation as a clue on how one could use the word. After
all, working against somebody that you are supposed to help is
betraying. But {magh} is not work against /anyone/.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh