[tlhIngan Hol] When did you buy the phone which you now use ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Aug 11 08:29:07 PDT 2017

On 8/11/2017 11:15 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> Let me ask you something else..
>
> Suppose I write {vIghro'lIj'e' vIparHa'} for "as for your cat, I like it".
>
> Is it correct to say that the object of {vIparHa'} is the
> {vIghro'lIj'e'} ?

There are two possible interpretations.

The normal one, which anyone would choose given no other context, is
that *vIghro'lIj'e'* is the emphasized object of *vIparHa'.*

However, it is also possible to consider a noun with *-'e'* to be a
syntactic noun, like nouns with *-Daq**, -vo', -mo',* or *-vaD.* It is
therefore possible to interpret *vIghro'lIj'e'* as the topic of the
sentence rather than its object, and the actual object is elided.

Consider this sentence:

    *vIghro'lIj'e' veDDaj vIparHa'
    */As for your cat, I like his fur./

Your sentence is the same sentence, just with the *veDDaj* elided: /As
for your cat, I like it./ Without context we don't know what the /it/
refers to, but it's still a valid interpretation of the sentence.