[tlhIngan Hol] Is Star Trek: Discovery a new canon category?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Aug 10 12:07:55 PDT 2017

On 8/10/2017 2:57 PM, Lieven wrote:
> On 8/10/2017 2:17 PM, De'vID wrote:
>> > My question is, would you consider the Klingon dialogue, etc., in Star
>>> Trek: Discovery to be Okrandian canon?
>
> ja SuStel:
>> Qov is not Okrand, and so her translations are not Okrandian canon,
>> unless he vetted them.
>
> The other question would be: Would you accept the Qovian (?) Klingon
> as canon? Being in the game, would you accept her as the second person
> who is in direct contact with Maltz?
>
> What if Okrand has not vetted them, but just tells us to "trust her
> abilities"?
>
> Or will we classify this as canon, but some kind of other dialect?

Without Okrand's vetting, I will accept it as /Star Trek/ canon
(contradictory though much of it is) and not *tlhIngan Hol* canon.

So far as I'm aware, Okrand has not delegated authority over the
language to anyone.

The "information from a Klingon informant and passes it on" game only
survives so long as someone who is NOT playing the game is that
authority. That person has to /invent,/ which is a very different thing
than observing and describing. Okrand doesn't eagerly await
pronouncements from Maltz; he invents them whenever he wants. If you're
one of those people wanting pronouncements, and you become the
authority, there's a HUGE conflict of interest there.

Convincing someone that the KLI's New Words Page is legitimate Klingon,
but Bob Smith's personal website of Klingon Words I Made Up is not, is
hard enough, and you do it by saying that only the language's inventor
comes up with it. Otherwise, we might as well agree that "quab jee nah
geel" is Perfectly Good Klingon too.