[tlhIngan Hol] Reversing the order of {-vo'}

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Thu Aug 10 09:30:54 PDT 2017

Am 10.08.2017 um 18:13 schrieb SuStel:
> You wrote:
>
>     *[vaS'a']vo' [tera'Daq DIvI' ra'ghom qach]Daq chegh**
>     **[tera'Daq DIvI' ra'ghom qachDaq vaS'a']vo' chegh*
>
> Your brackets show locatives and froms affecting entire phrases that
> include other locatives or froms. This is exactly what the noun-noun
> restriction prohibits. You can't say this any more than you can say
> *mIvDaq yIHvo'*//to mean /from the tribble [that is] in the helmet./ The
> phrase **mIvDaq yIH* itself is illegal. A syntactic noun cannot be the
> genitive to a head noun. At best, *mIvDaq yIHvo'* can mean /in the
> helmet, from the tribble,/ but there is absolutely no connection (no
> genitive relationship) between the tribble and the helmet. The two words
> might happen to sit next to each other in a larger sentence, but they
> have no direct relationship.

I agree with SuStel. (I really do)

There is this canon example {naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaH} which really is a
list of adverbials, not a noun-noun construction. You may split it:
{naDevvo' majaH} 'ej {vaS'a'Daq majaH}.

I think one may even say that the one locative refers to the following
sentence:

{naDevvo' [vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH]}

or with SuStel's cat:
{mIvDaq [yIHvo' jIghoS]} - It means "In the hat, I go away from the cat"
but not "I go away from the [cat-in-the-hat]"

What your mistake was, is using multiple {-Daq} in the sense of "in/at"
{tera'Daq DIvI' ra'ghom qachDaq vaS'a'} "from [Hall in [house in earth]]"

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh