[tlhIngan Hol] We got words for a Spiral, now what to do with them...

Jeremy Silver jp.silver at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Aug 9 09:01:10 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 9 August 2017 15:54:45 BST nIqolay Q wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Jeremy Silver <jp.silver at tiscali.co.uk>
>
> wrote:
> > I had to do a bit of digging and found various meanings for "He tasks me",
> > and believe I was right in the "subject-to-hardship" sense. Because Ceti
> > Alpha V became uninabitable, Khan lost his wife and suffered hardship
> > and I'd say "causes to suffer" still works.
>
> {ghong}, perhaps? Other options (of varying literalness) might be
> {Doy'moH}, {qaD}, {QIH}, or {tlhoy vummoH}.

Thanks for these suggestions, I originally considered {qaD} as a possible
candidate and will add {QIH} to the list.

> (Thesaurus.com - a Klingon translator's second-best friend.)

Have several thesauri? thesauruses? yes them... on my desktop. But do they
define words as used in the 1800s?

> How about {verwI''a'}? Explicitly using the verb root (perhaps with a
> {-taH} too) might convey the notion of movement more than {mI'rab} does.

Already ahead of you on this one, but a second vote for this construction is
welcome.

The latest draft is this one:

{mubechmoH ghaH'e'. mubechmoH 'ej vIchargh.
*Nibia*  maSmey HayDaq, *Antares*  vertaHwI''a' HoSghaj HayDaq,  ghe''or
qulmey HayDaq je vItlha';  nargh 'e' vIchaw'pa'!}

I may yet change {chargh} to {jon} or {HoH}.

Thanks,
mupwI'