[tlhIngan Hol] 'Iv with type 5 noun suffixes

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 7 07:44:25 PDT 2017

I know of no examples of {'Iv} taking any suffix, except for:

  DevwI' ghaH 'Iv'e'?
  (STID (deleted line])

This line was deleted from the final movie, however, so may not count as official (i.e. published) canon.

I checked the paq'batlh and surprisingly could only find a single example of {'Iv} (for those collecting them):

  batlh SaqIH
      qanra' puqloDpu'
      'ej 'Iv ghaH nuvvam'e'

AFAIK the only other example of a question word with any suffix is:

  Sojvetlh 'oH nuq'e'
  What is that food?  (PK)

Note that this is also with {-'e'} and may just be another example of marking the subject of a "to be" sentence rather than permitting the wider use of noun suffixes on question words.  OTOH...

(TKD 6.4 p.69):  The word for "where?", {nuqDaq}, is actually {nuq} "what?" followed by the suffix {-Daq} "locative" ...

--Voragh