[tlhIngan Hol] bommey 'IQ

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Aug 2 09:33:13 PDT 2017

On 8/2/2017 12:20 PM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> jIH:
>
>     wa'Hu', yaHwIjDaq jIHtaH, 'ej bom 'IQ vI'IjchoH. bomvammo'
>     jI'IQchoH, 'a bomvam vImevbe'.
>
> lieven:
> > vay' DamevlaHbe', mev vay' neH. mev bom DaneHchugh, vaj
> > yImevmoH.
>
> If I understand correctly, you mean that {mev} is intransitive ?
>
> Meaning that I can't say {bom vImev} for "I stop the song" ? And I can
> only say {bom vImevmoH} ?

It has been used both ways.

*bIjatlh 'e' yImev*/Shut up!/ (TKD)
The thing stopped is the object.

*not mev peghmey*/Secrets never cease/. (PK)
The thing stopped (or not, in this case) is the subject.

*tagh* /start /has been used both ways, too:

*taghbej mu'qaD veS*/Curse warfare has definitely begun./ (CK)
The thing that gets started is the subject.

*Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je tIqaw*/When you begin a mission,
remember Aktuh and Melota/. (TKW)
The thing that gets started is the object.

So, barring any further data, you can say either *bom vImev* or *bom
vImevmoH.*