[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon weather forecast

Michael Roney, Jr. nahqun at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 03:26:31 PDT 2017

Is this our first Hawaiian to Klingon loan word?
~naHQun
~Michael Roney, Jr. Sent from my Palm Prē
-------- Original message --------From: Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> Date: 8/2/17  02:26  (GMT-05:00) To: tlhingan-hol at kli.org Subject: Re: [tlhIngan Hol] Klingon weather forecast
Am 01.08.2017 um 10:27 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
> Is the word {wIqI} canon ?

I had a chance ask Marc Okrand, and he said that Maltz had never heard
of a "wiki", but he pronounced it as {wI'qIy}. << this is canon now.

But note that it's not a Klingon word, just the klingon spelling for a
federation word, like {'e'levan}.

Here's the entire message:
(see http://www.qephom.de/e/message_from_maltz_170801.html)
-------------
"Wiki" in English is pronounced with stress on the first syllable, which
has the same vowel sound as "with" or "which" or "hit" – Klingon {I} –
and the second syllable is the same as English "key." So it rhymes with
"Mickey" or "picky." If "Klingonized," I think it would be {wI'qIy}.
It's not a Klingon word, but Klingons would use the Federation Standard
word (probably pronounced in the Klingon way) for this Federation thing.
I don't know if Klingons have a similar sort of thing. I'll have to see
what Maltz has to say. (It's okay to forward this information – the
important part is that it's not a Klingon word, but the Klingon
pronunciation [and spelling] of a Federation Standard word that Klingons
use from time to time. Same as {'e'levan}. Or you can wait and we can
just include it in the qepHom wish list.)