[tlhIngan Hol] Experience and usage of jeS

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 00:16:39 PDT 2017

Jeremy Silver:
> {SeQpIr Daleghchu'be'pu', mung tlhIngan HolDajDaq ghaH DalaDpu'pa'.}

Since klingon vocabulary is perceived to be the literal and not
metaphoric meaning of its word, I don't think that {legh} can be used
to express "experience" as in "I experience SeQpIr". Reading this part
of the sentence would make me understand "you haven't seen SeQpIr in
the flesh unless..".

The costruction {mung tlhIngan HolDajDaq} has two problems:

1. The literal translation is "at his klingon language of origin",
which I'm not quite sure it sounds well/nice. Of course, this might be
just a matter of personal preference. However, I would rather go with
{tlhIngan Hol wa'DIch}. Since in Klingon monopoly we have {Quj
wa'DIch} to refer to the original monopoly game, then I believe it
would fit here too, quite nicely.

2. And this is the major problem. The {-Daq} can only be used to refer
to physical locations. If you would like to use it anyway, perhaps you
could say something like {tlhIngan wa'DIch ghItlhDaq} for "at the
manuscript of the original klingon".

Jeremy Silver:
> {SeQpIr Daleghchu' neH, mung tlhIngan HolDajDaq ghaH DalaDDI'.}

The problem here is that when we use {neH} on a verb, the meaning
isn't "only". The meaning is "merely". So, the meaning here would be
"you will merely see perfectly SeQpIr", and not "you will only see
perfectly SeQpIr".

As for the use of {jeS}, I like it, because I think that when
watching/reading a play, in order for the experience to be meaningful,
we need to actually participate on some level (emotional, spiritual,
etc).

qunnoq