[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhay'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 27 11:09:55 PDT 2017

> Klingon word: tlhay'
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: be tame, domesticated
> Source: qep'a' 23 [2016]

Lieven:
< In case there may be doubts in the meaning: I asked Maltz
< for this word referring to animals living in a house.

mIp’av:
>> I imagine then that "wild" is {tlhay'be'}, while "feral" would be {tlhay'Ha'}.
>> {tlhab} might describe either.

We already have {tlhab} “be free/independent”, which Okrand has applied both to wild plants:

(KGT 89):  Fruit or vegetables that come from a farm ({Du'}) are called either {naH} alone or {Du' naH} (“farm fruit or vegetable” or “produce”); the wild variety is termed {naH tlhab} (literally, “free fruit or vegetable”).

and to wild animals (in a common simile):

(KGT 132):  {tlhab; ngem Ha'DIbaH rur} “free (independent) as a forest animal” … though this refers to how or where any animal lives rather than to a specific animal

Another way to refer to wild animals is by where they live:

(KGT 111):  A Klingon *sark* ({Sargh}) is an animal somewhat resembling a Terran horse, both in appearance and in that Klingons (generally individually) often ride on the animal's back. A “forest *sark*" ({ngem Sargh}) is a *sark* found in the forest ({ngem})--that is, in the wild, usually one that has never carried a Klingon around. A Klingon game played on *sark*-back involves one rider and *sark* executing a particular maneuver, and then the other players copying this maneuver. The idea is to make the movement somewhat erratic--in the manner of a wild, not a domesticated animal--so that it is difficult to duplicate. […] The phrase (often in the form {ngem Sarghmey tlha'laH} [“be able to chase forest *sarks*”]) is now used to indicate that one is capable of following anyone or anything--that is, that one is capable of understanding even the most complex of discussions or of solving the most intricate of problems.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'