[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yIb

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 26 11:30:20 PDT 2017

Voragh wrote:
>> Not sure how this is different from the noun {ghImwI'} "exhaust", used
>> once in the BOP Poster:
>>   peng baHjan tuj ghImwI'
>>   heat exhaust for torpedo launcher (KBoP)
>>
>> Is {yIb} more of an opening while {ghImwI'} - derived from {ghIm}
>> "exile" - is an active device?

Kechpaja/SapIr:
> I would assume that a {ghImwI'} is a type of {yIb}. A vent doesn't
> necessarily have to be used for getting rid of some substance, even
> though that's what we normally think of when we hear the word.

>> SEE ALSO:
>> tlhuch 		exhaust (v)
>> vuj  		expel, eject (v) (qep'a' 2016)
>> nIj 		leak (v)
>
> Do we know what the argument structure of {nIj} is? Is the subject the
> substance that's leaking, or the object from which it is leaking?

Good question but AFAIK {nIj} has never been used in a sentence.

>> tlhuD 		emit (v)
>> natlh 		use up (v)
>
> What are the main semantic differences between {natlh} and {tlhuch}?

natlh  	use up, consume, expend:

KGT 155:  Literally meaning "consume, use up, expend", {natlh} is normally applied to energy, fuel, supplies, and the like and is used in phrases such as {nIn Hoch natlhlu'pu'} ("All the fuel has been consumed"), with {nIn Hoch} ("all the fuel") functioning as the object of the verb {natlhlu'pu'} ("someone/something has consumed it").

HoS law'qu' natlhmo' So'wI'
Due to the tremendous energy drain of a cloaking device... S33

tlhuD  	emit (energy, radiation):

chIch vay' 'oy'moHmeH 'oy'naQ 'ul law' tlhuD 'oH
Painstiks... emit a highly-charged shock for the express
  purpose of inflicting pain. S32

> Slash which sense of "exhaust" does {tlhuch} refer to (exhausting a
> person, exhausting a resource, or emitting exhaust)?

AFAIK {tlhuch} has never been used either.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'