[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lorbe'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Apr 17 08:33:02 PDT 2017

On 4/17/2017 10:33 AM, Terrence Donnelly wrote:
> This always gives me so much trouble! Let me see if I've got this right.
>
> So far as a {lor} is concerned, can you distill it down to the rule
> that the {lor} is the child of an opposite-sex sibling?
> your mother's brother has a {lor}, your father's sister has a {lor},
> if you are a male, your sister has a {lor}, if you are female, your
> brother has a {lor}?
> This applies to children of the siblings of you or your parents.
>
> (And {tey'} is used for the children of same-sex siblings).
>
> Correct?
*
*

There are two words related to your father's family: *tennuS* /father's
brother/ and *'e'mam*/father's sister./ The first refers to men; the
second to women. The spouses of these get the same words with *-nal*
suffixed to them, keeping the maleness and femaleness appropriate: your
*tennuS*'s wife is your *'e'mamnal,* while your *'e'mam*'s husband is
your *tennuSnal.*

There are two words related to your mother's family: *'IrneH*/mother's
brother/ and *me'*/mother's sister.**/The first refers to men; the
second to women. The spouses of these get the same words with *-nal*
suffixed to them, keeping the maleness and femaleness appropriate: your
*'IrneH*'s wife is your *me'nal,* while your *me'*'s husband is your
*'IrneHnal.*

The child of one of your parents' opposite-sex siblings (either *'e'mam*
or *'IrneH*) is your *lor;* the child of one of your parents' same-sex
siblings (either *tennuS* or *me'*) is your *tey'.* Both *lor* and
*tey'* can specify whether they are male or female by adding *loD* or *be'*.

But *lor* and *tey'* also refer to nieces and nephews. *lor* means the
child of your sibling the opposite sex as you; *tey'* means the child of
your sibling the same sex as you. They can still take *loD* and *be'* to
distinguish their sexes.

To distinguish between aunts/uncles and nieces/nephews, just explain the
relationship (e.g., *loDnI' puq*). You normally do not distinguish if
the information is not important.

A group of *lor* and *tey'* are *vInpu';* the singular *vIn* is only
used to refer to an individual in a group of *vInpu'.*

A more distant uncle/aunt/niece/nephew relation is generally called a
*yur.* A group of *yurpu' *might include some *lor* or *tey',* but you
wouldn't use *yurpu'* if the group consisted /only/ of *lor* and *tey'.*

*'e'nal* is someone married into the family whose relationship isn't
specified.

So to summarize:

Your father's family uses the words *tennuS* and *'e'mam.* Your mother's
family uses the words *'IrneH* and *me'.* *lor* are traced through
opposite-sex siblings; *tey'* are traced through same-sex siblings.
*vInpu'* are a group of *lor* and *tey'.* A *yur* is a more distant
relation through siblings. An *'e'nal* married into the family but
doesn't say to whom.