[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tera'ngan

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 14 08:19:23 PDT 2017

> Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, April 14, 2017
>
> Klingon word: tera'ngan
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: Terran, Earther

KGT 141:  A name for the inhabitant of a planet (and, therefore, the name of a race of beings) is formed by adding {ngan} ("inhabitant") to the planet name (excluding the number, if any): {lIghonngan} (Ligonian), {tera'ngan} (Earther, Terran), {romuluSngan} (Romulan).

tera'ngan jIH
I'm a Terran. CK

tera'ngan ghaH
He/She is a Terran. CK

tera'ngan SoH'a'
Are you a Terran? CK

nuq mI'lIj, tera'ngan
What is your number, Terran? CK

Sum Daqmeyvam, tera'ngan
These places are nearby, Terran. CK

yISop, tera'ngan
Bon appetit, Terran. [lit. "Eat (it)!"] CK

Ha'DIbaHmey meQ Sop 'e' tIv tera'nganpu'
Terrans enjoy eating burnt animals.
[sic! for {'e' *lu*tIv tera'nganpu'}] CK

tera'nganvaD romuluS HIq jabQo'
They won't serve Romulan ale to Terrans. CK

tera'ngan motlhbe' SoH
You are an unusual Terran. PK

quvwIj DatIchpu', tera'ngan
[You have insulted my honor, Terran. (untr.)] PK

toH tera'ngan
[So, Terran... (untr.)] PK

wa' ghaH tera'ngan'e'
One is a Terran. (ST5 notes)

... tlhIngan'e', tera'ngan'e', romuluSngan'e'
[... a Klingon, a Terran, a Romulan (untr.)] ST5

wa' tera'ngan je wa' romuluSngan
A Terran and a Romulan. [sic!] ST5

qIm tera'ngan
Attention Earther! (KCD bumper sticker)

tera'ngan ghaH qama''e'
The prisoner is a Terran. KGT

Hoj; tera'ngan rur
cautious as a Terran. KGT

raS ngeQ tera'ngan
The Terran bumps into the table. KGT

ngeQchuq tera'nganpu'
The Terrans collide with each other. KGT

tera'ngan ngIj
rowdy Terran. KGT

tera'ngan Ha'DIbaH!
Terran animal! (STConst p.228)

may' ghe'naQ[na'] lumuchrup tera'nganpu'.
We Terrans will be performing an authentic battle opera. ('U'-MTK)

wanI'vam Dun luleghlaHmeH tlhIngan SuvwI' Duypu' bongeH 'e' lutul tera'nganpu'
We hope that you can send a delegation of honorable emissaries to witness this glorious event. ('U'-MTK)

qatlh tlhIngan lut luja' tera'ngan DawI'pu'lI'?
Why are your Earthling actors telling a Klingon story? ('U'-MTK)

tlhIHvaD paq chu' wImuch 'e' bochaw'mo' chequvmoH 'ej chebelmoH. lut'a'raj Dun laDlaHmeH tera'ngan, tera'Daq tlhIngan lut'a' paq wa'DIch wIchenmoHta', lut'a' 'oH paq'batlh'e'.
It is a great honor and pleasure that you have allowed us to present you with the first Terran edition of your glorious epic, the paq'batlh. (Vincent Van Gerven Oei's speech at qepHom wa'maHDIch)

SEE ALSO:
Human 		human (n)

The 2004 film "Earthlings: Ugly Bags of Mostly Water" is a documentary on the KLI and Klingon-speakers.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'