[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: wornagh

Michael Roney, Jr. nahqun at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 08:25:14 PDT 2016

page 10 of the upcoming Hidden Universe Travel Guides: Qo'noS and the
Klingon Empire:
"On the other hand, warnog beer and a number of ales might be more to your
liking."

https://catalog.simonandschuster.com/TitleDetails/TitleDetails.aspx?cid=16155&isbn=9781608875191#

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> > Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, September 27, 2016
> >
> > Klingon word: wornagh
> > Part of speech: noun
> > Definition: *warnog*, Klingon ale
>
> (KGT 95):  ... many native Klingon alcoholic drinks have names that do not
> contain the word {HIq}. Among these are {wornagh} ("warnog"), a kind of ale
>
> (KGT 98f):  Unless specified further, {HIq HIvje'} ("liquor glass")
> usually means a tankard or stein for beer or ale. A {bal} is any bottle or
> jug used to store liquid... Ale is often stored in a large vat ({qegh})
> rather than in a {bal}.
>
> (Lieven 12/12/2013):  [Maltz] said he has been asked before about "Merry
> Christmas" and "Happy New Year". He thought they were silly things to say
> (and, of course, there are no traditional Klingon ways to say these things)
> ... He also liked my sister-in-law's suggestion: {wornagh yItlhutlh!}
>
> TREK TRIVIA:
>
> The clone of Kahless was exposed because he could not detect the
> difference between real and replicated *warnog*. (TNG "Rightful Heir")
>
> General Martok often enjoyed *warnog* aboard the IKS Rotarran to keep him
> warm. (DS9 "Sons and Daughters")
>

> For a K.A.G. (the Klingon fan group) version of Klingon beer see:
> http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2014/03/an-honorable-drink.html
>

> --
> Voragh
> tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'