[tlhIngan Hol] [KLBC] introducing myself - jISovmoH’egh

Aurélie Demonchaux demonchaux.aurelie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 08:01:55 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Wow thanks a lot for your warm welcome and feedback! :)

I’ll try to reply to everyone below/ bIngDaq Hoch Sajang ‘e’ vInID (this
email may be a bit long, sorry!)

*@’arHa*

>> First off, wow! For a month of practice, your Klingon is /great!/ I bet
it is because you are an experienced translator and language learner!

Thanks a lot, it’s super encouraging to hear! It helps to already know
other languages, but I’m actually not a very advanced klingonist so far:

thlIngan Hol vIjatlhmeH ‘ej ‘oH vIlaDmeH mu’ghom vIlo’ mu’mey law’be’
vISov, vaj Hoch mu’vaD mu’ghom vIlo’nIS. poH law’ poQtaH ‘oH.

>> I think we usually use the verb {Dab} for "to inhabit" a country, so:
vIraS vIDab. But what you wrote isn't grammatically incorrect.

DalughmoHta’mo’ qatlho’ :)

*@Lieven / **Quvar valer 'utlh*:

 >> this sounds very strange to me, because that's my daughter's name :-)

Oops, maybe I should take a Klingon name then. I put “mughwI’” as my
username on the KLI so if it sounds fine as a Klingon name, then so be it.
(if not, then to reply this essential question of “what’s your Klingon
name”, I could also answer loSmaH cha’ ;-). But let me know if it sounds
bad though!

>> As our current BG already said, your klingon is VERY good for being your
first message.

qatlho’ :)

>> Here it seems like you've misinterpreted the word "film" for a movie.
Literally, the word {mIllogh qonwI' qoSta'} means "image-recorder-ribbon",
so it's the kind of film that is used in a photocamera, not a movie.

Sorry about that! So to convey “movie”, it should be “HaSta much”, qar’a’?

>> Have you seen the Klingon language wiki already?

Yes, this is where I found out about the KLBC. I will think about possible
contributions there for the French, I see there are a lot of pages that
would need translation.

>> re. introducing oneself:

I found "lIH" on the klingonska website with the example “To begin to sing
a song is to lIH (literally, introduce) the song [...]” so I thought it was
only a musical term. Will make a note of “jIlIH'egh » for next time.

I also wanted to say, Youtube-Daq muchmey Dalanbogh vIparHa’ :)

*@QISta’:*

>> Hello :-) (I'm a Terran so if I don't say "hello" I'll explode!)

Haha yes I know the feeling! I wanted to say “nuqneH” in my 1st message but
as I’m the newcomer, it doesn’t apply. And I don’t know if “I salute you” /
“qavan” can serve as a greeting formula (it has quite a military
connotation, qar’a’?)

*@mIp'av:*

>> Aurélie, maHvaD bIjatlhpu' <SaqIHneS>. naDev bIjatlhnISbe' <neS>.

Ok, I was trying to convey “nice to meet you” so I figured adding “neS”
would convey a similar idea in a Klingon way, using “I'm honoured to meet
you” instead. But then the true Klingon way is possibly to just say nothing
in those cases, a bit like for “hello”.

>>qaStaHvIS loS DIS tlhIngan Hol vIHaDqu'taH, 'a tugh SoH po' law' jIH po'
puS 'e' vIpIH.

jInIDlI' :)