[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: matlhHa'

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 09:18:30 PDT 2016

SuStel:
> But I can tell you that -lu' does not mean "someone does something to someone."
> It means "someone or something unspecified or abstract does something." Maybe
> it's done to something, maybe not.

This confuses me greatly;

I read again section 4.2.5. of tkd, and yes the first thing it says is
"This suffix is used to indicate that the subject is unknown,
indefinite, and/or general".

On the other hand though, immediately it continues by saying: "Since
the subject is always the same (that is, it is always unstated), the
pronominal prefixes (section 4.1.1) are used in a different way". And
proceeds by giving examples of the kind "someone/something does
something to someone/something".

Even the example {Soplu'} is given as "it is eaten". Of course it
could be also taken as "someone eats it"; but, how can someone write
{Soplu'} in order to say "someone eats (period)" ?

Perhaps you will answer by saying "even if you say someone eats
(period), then again *that* someone is eating something so we
essentially say the same thing".

ok.. perhaps I can see your point; but my problem is that the tkd does
not have a single example like {yItlu'} for "someone is walking", or
{neplu'} for "someone is lying" etc. So, how can we accept such a
usage of {-lu'} ?

SuStel:
> The difference is that vay' indicates a definite "someone,"
> while -lu' might be used when that someone is more abstract

I can't understand this either; how is {lu'} abstract and {vay'}
definite ? Both mean someone. Someone unknown/unspecified. I can't see
any difference between them.

qunnoq