[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Ha'on vevwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 26 06:38:13 PDT 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, September 25, 2016
>
> Klingon word: Ha'on vevwI'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: stapler
> Source: qepHom 2015 p.18

>From the qepHom 2015 Exercise book (p.18):

MO: A stapler is a {Ha'on vevwI'}. The staple, the little metal thing, is called {baS Ha'on} or just {Ha'on}. The verb {vev} means "insert, put in", so the stapler is literally a device that "puts in" the staple ({Ha'on}) into the paper.

LL: If the object of {vev} are the staples, where would I put the paper into the sentence? It seems to be called a "staple-inserter", not a "paper-stapler"...

MO: That's true; the result is that it's stapling paper together, but what it's really doing is sticking a staple into the papers.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'