[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qImroq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Sep 23 08:11:43 PDT 2016

Voragh:
>> Note {poH tuj bI'reS} "summer solstice" in the "Message to Kronos":
>>
>>   poH tuj bI'reS nungbogh wa' jaj qeylIS DIS chorghvatlh
>>     loSmaH jav qaStaHvIS. [sic!]
>>   In the days that follow the summer solstice in the Year
>>     of Kahless 846. ('u'-MTK)

qunnoq:
> I can't understand how from the klingon sentence, we come to the given fse
> one; all I get is "one day which precedes the hot period of time, year of
> kahless 846 while it is happening"

This is not a complete sentence, but a phrase answering the question:

  ghorgh lumuch?
  When, you ask?

I think {poH tuj bI'reS nungbogh wa' jaj} is supposed to be "the day before (i.e. preceding) the beginning of the hot period".  {bI'reS} is being used in a kind of metaphorical sense - "summer's prologue" as it were.

{bI'reS} "beginning (of an opera, play, story, speech, etc.)":

(HQ 12.2:8-9):  For an opera, play, story, speech, and so on, the final portion is its {bertlham}. This word usually refers to the last aria or other musical portion in an opera, last speech in a play, last sentence or so of a story or an address. The {bertlham} of a well-known work is often well-known itself, as is its beginning ({bI'reS}).
   For a song-but only for a song-the final portion is its {'o'megh}. Parallel to {bertlham}, {'o'megh} is the final phrase or so of the song, one that brings the song to a definite conclusion. All songs have endings ({'o'meghmey}), some more elaborate or stirring than others ... that portion of the song that comes at the beginning-a portion that is often so familiar that listeners know what song it is after hearing just that short portion-is the {namtun}.

FYI here is Marc Okrand's complete "Message to Kronos" [September 2010, see http://www.u-theopera.org/]:

Qo'noS tlhInganpu':  qeylIS puqloDpu' puqbe'pu' je.
tera'vo' SarI'.
Marc Okrand jIH. De' potlh vIlab.
may' ghe'naQ[na'] lumuchrup tera'nganpu'.
<'u'> 'oH ghe'naQ pong['e']. [sic!]
yuQmajDaq may' ghe'naQ[na'] wa'DIch wIQoybogh 'oH
  <'u'>['e']. [sic!]
ghorgh lumuch?
poH tuj bI'reS nungbogh wa' jaj qeylIS DIS chorghvatlh
  loSmaH jav qaStaHvIS. [sic!]
ghe'naQ Daqvo' QInvam wIlab.
wanI'vam Dun luleghlaHmeH tlhIngan SuvwI' Duypu' bongeH
  'e' lutul tera'nganpu'.
qeylIS wIquvmoHtaHvIS chetlhej wIneH.

Klingons of Kronos:  sons and daughters of Kahless.
I hail you from Earth.
I am Marc Okrand and I bring you an important message.
We Terrans will be performing an authentic battle opera.
The name of the opera is {'u'}.
{'u'} will be the first authentic battle opera performed
  on our planet.
When, you ask?
In the days that follow the summer solstice in the Year
  of Kahless 846.
We will place a homing device transmitting this message
  at the site of the opera.
We hope that you can send a delegation of honorable
  emissaries to witness this glorious event.
We hope you can join us while we honor Kahless.

There are several errors - possibly typos - in the text published by the producers.  The version Okrand supplied may have been better.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'