[tlhIngan Hol] AMA with Marc Okrand

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Sep 22 10:31:06 PDT 2016

On 9/22/2016 11:17 AM, Michael Roney, Jr. wrote:
> I don't recall this being posted here:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4xehwa/mathnuqtx%C3%ACtan_we_are_marc_okrand_creator_of/
>
> I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing myself, so I don't know
> if anything new is added or anything old is clarified.

Here's a little tidbit I hadn't heard before. Jon Povill writes:

    Actually, the phrases for the opening scenes of ST-TMP were created
    by Jimmy Doohan and me -- in my office at Paramount. We did them
    together. I was the associate producer of the movie. It was a fun
    session and it did not, in truth, take us very long (as I remember).

and also:

    Truth be told I'd forgotten about it myself until I went through a
    box of memos and stuff from the movie and discovered the list of
    phases we'd put together and realized "Holy shit! I did that!" It's
    so bizarre in retrospect to see the Klingon language everywhere.
    "Big Bang Theory" uses it constantly. Jimmy and I also did some work
    on the Vulcan language for the movie, though we were greatly
    augmented in that by Hartmert Sharph (I am probably spelling his
    name completely wrong). We were going guttural and Germanic for
    Klingon, Sanskrit for Vulcan. I took French and Spanish in high
    school and college and barely passed -- so I was a strange guy for
    the task. It just kinda fell to us in the course of the production.