[tlhIngan Hol] waH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 1 06:09:18 PDT 2016

qunnoq :
> Is there a noun {waH} meaning "the test of one's abilities" ?

No AFAIK, but there is the noun {qaD} "challenge, test (of one's abilities) (KCD/KGT).

> I noticed this entry in my dictionary, and I think that it must be a
> mistake on my part.

You may have conflated the noun {laH} "ability" with the verb {waH} "taste, try out (e.g. food), test, use experimentally", introduced on msn.onstage.startrek.expert.okrand (7/01/1997):

  {waH} means "try out, use (experimentally)" and it is also
  the word used for taste in the sense of trying out food to
  see if it's prepared properly or to find out if you like it.

      qagh vIwaH
      I taste the gagh.
      ("I try out the gagh [to see how it tastes]")

SEE ALSO:
chov 		assess, evaluate, test (v)
tob  		test conclusively,  prove (v)
Daj 		test inconclusively (v)