[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chaQ

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Oct 17 07:46:44 PDT 2016

On 10/17/2016 10:27 AM, kechpaja wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 01:55:22PM +0000, Steven Boozer wrote:
>>> Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, October 15, 2016
>>> Klingon word: chaQ
>>> Part of speech: verb
>>> Definition: thrust upward with end of *bat'leth*
>> (KGT 59):  There is an extensive vocabulary for the moves associated with bat'leth use. To thrust or lunge toward one's opponent, for example, is {jop}. To deflect a thrust--that is, to parry--is {way'}. To thrust either end of the bat'leth (as opposed to the long part of the blade) upward is {chaQ}. To change the approximate orientation of the weapon from horizontal to vertical is {ngol}; the reverse is {lev}. To slide the blade of one's bat'leth along the blade of the opponent's weapon is {DIj}. To twirl or rotate the bat'leth is {jIrmoH} and to toss it from one hand to the other (the same word is used whether left to right or right to left) is {baQ}.
> This makes me wonder: is there a specific term that we know of meaning
> "to thrust either end of the bat'leth *downward*"? That seems to be a
> fairly common move in the combat shown on screen in Star Trek, usually
> parried by holding the blade horizontal to catch the thrust. Or would
> you just say {jop} and it would be assumed that that was what you were
> describing?

I'd expect *Qach* to be used for that motion; it's the same motion you'd 
use with**an axe or club.


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/attachments/20161017/556089c7/attachment-0004.htm>

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list