[tlhIngan Hol] Will it survive ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 12 11:45:30 PDT 2016

There’s nothing wrong with {'e' SIghba' pa' beb 'Iv} “The ceiling’s altitude obviously influences that.”

Although almost always seen in a SAO (sentence-as-objects), {‘e’} is not limited to them.  Okrand wrote that:

  The correct way to say "Do you think that...?" is {... 'e' DaQub'a'?}
   ('e' is "that," referring to something that precedes it in the sentence
   or in the discussion; DaQub'a' is "do you think it?").
   [msn.onstage.startrek.expert.okrand (December 12, 1996)]

Note the comment “or in the discussion”.  Other examples:

'e' luSov.
They know that. TKD

'e' vIlegh.
I see that. TKD

'ej 'e' DaqaSmoHchugh jIlaj
  [line unavailable] (PB, paq'raD, Canto 16:9)

And the infamous line:

  'e' neHbe' vavwI'
  “That wasn't what my father wanted.” (ST6 subtitle)

The controversy is the suffix on {vav}.  Some people heard Azetbur say {'e' neHbe' vavoy} – she responded to a toast to Gorkon with {vavoy!} in another scene and the actress may well have repeated herself -- but that doesn’t affect the (perhaps colloquial) use of {‘e’}.

--
Voragh

On Behalf Of mayqel qunenoS

jIH:
> taHlaH pagh taHlaHbe'. 'e' SIghba' pa' beb 'Iv.

I just want to say that this sentence is wrong; it consists of two sentences joined by {pagh}, followed by the sentence after the {'e'}.

I could have written instead {chaq taHlaH. 'e' SIghba' pa' beb 'Iv}.

However I intentionally went with the "wrong" choice, because I remembered azetbur's "that is not what my father wanted". (which as I understand, to this day it continues to be a matter of controversy.