[tlhIngan Hol] [English] Using "pong" as a verb to say "my name is..." ?

Aurélie Demonchaux demonchaux.aurelie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 06:31:06 PDT 2016

*@SuStel*:
thanks for clarifying the correct use of verbs of speech! All duly noted
​:)​

*@Lieven*:
1/

> Also note the pronoun {net}, which is translated as "one" in English. It
> may be similar to the French "on".

Mmmh I checked this on the Klingon Dictionary, and looking at the examples
I think the French “on” cannot be used as an equivalent here. In the case
of {net], French would rather use structures such as “il s’avère que” (it
turns out that…) or “Cela se sait que… / C’est bien connu que…(it is known
that)”.

Thus:

> {qama'pu' DIHoH net Sov} <One knows we kill prisoners.>

would translate as < Cela se sait que nous tuons les prisonniers > (it is
known that we kill prisoners)

and

> {Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej} <One certainly finds it useful for the mission.>

would translate as < Cela va certainement s’avérer utile pour la mission >
(this will certainly turn out / prove to be useful for the mission).

In both examples, if we use “on” in French, most likely it would be
misunderstood as “we”.

​2/​

Also {nu-} "he/she/it/they [does something to] us" (French *nous*) and
> possibly {tu-} "you (plural) [do something to] me" (French *tous* or
> Spanish *tu*, which is singular of course but still means "you").

qeS QaQ ‘oH, qatlho’ !

*@mIp'av, SuStel*

> I interpreted it as direct address: Hoch, Savan everyone, I salute you.

Regarding < Hoch Savan >, I actually meant it as “I salute you all”. Maybe
I should have written < Hoch tlhIH Savan > instead?

​Thanks a lot!

~mughwI'​