[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bo'Dagh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 13 07:22:11 PDT 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, October 13, 2016
>
> Klingon word: bo'Dagh
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: scoop, scooping implement (to serve food)

(KGT 97-8):  A scooping implement, much like a garden trowel, used to remove food from a pot, is a {bo'Dagh}.

(KGT 125):  The phrase {bo'Dagh'a' lo'} is another way to say exaggerate, though it has negative connotations of exaggerating when it is inappropriate to do so. If a warrior, for example, boasts about his recent exploits in a way other warriors find unbelievable, someone might say {bo'Dagh'a' lo'} ("He's using a big scoop"--that is, "He's exaggerating"). It is not uncommon to confront someone by making use of this phrase (for example, {qaHarbe'; bo'Dagh'a' Dalo'} ["I don't believe you; you're using a big scoop"--that is, "You're exaggerating"]) or to use it to assert one's veracity, as in {bo'Dagh'a' vIlo'be'} ("I am not using a big scoop"--in other words, "I am not exaggerating").
   The scoop ({bo'Dagh}) in the phrase is the implement used to remove food from the pot in which it was prepared and place it on a serving platter. This is hardly a delicate operation, so scooping with a {bo'Dagh} entails transferring as much food as possible on each trip from pot to platter. Using a big scoop ({bo'Dagh'a'}) would imply transferring even greater quantities of food, perhaps more than the serving plate can handle.
    An altered form of this expression substitutes {bo'DaghHom} (little scoop) for {bo'Dagh'a'} (big scoop). The phrase {bo'DaghHom lo'} ("use a little scoop") means make less of something than it really is or minimize the importance of something, again with the connotation that this is inappropriate.

SEE ALSO:
bo'DaghHom  	little scoop (to serve food) (n)
bo'Dagh'a'  	big scoop (to serve food) (n)
baghneQ 		spoon (n)
'un  			pot (n)
'elpI' 		serving platter (n)

lo'  			use, make use of [something] (v)
jab  			serve food (v)

lach  		exaggerate (v)
mIy 			brag (v)
nep 			lie (v)

N.B. do not confuse {bo'Dagh} with {bo'Degh} "bird (general word)".

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'