[tlhIngan Hol] [English] Using "pong" as a verb to say "my name is..." ?

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Tue Oct 4 13:38:32 PDT 2016

Am 03.10.2016 um 23:36 schrieb Aurélie Demonchaux:
> I thought about this further, and I figure that actually the general
> guideline (on reflexive vs non-reflexive verbs) is to just follow
> English usage (for the equivalent verbs), unless stated otherwise in
> canon materials.

This is again a proof that shows that the creator of Klingon is after
all an English speaker.

And it also shows that you are French ;-)

Basically, no Klingon word is reflexive, at least not like those phrases
we know from french or German "deshabillez-vous"/ "Ziehen Sie sich aus"
or "asseyez-vous"/"setzen Sie sich". To add a "yourself", you need the
sufix {-'egh}, but in many cases does not make sense, as you see with
"sit yourself".

This may look difficult in the beginning, but that also difficult for
Germans to learn that french "move" is not reflexive as it is in german:

"Er bewegt sich" - "il bouge"
(Germans often say "il se bouge")

> So then if someone gives an order to 1 other person to sit in Klingon,
> it will be < yIba’> but not < yIba’egh>,

Correct.

maj. nom bIghojba'.

--
Lieven L. Litaer