[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chaQ

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Oct 17 08:20:26 PDT 2016

On 10/17/2016 10:59 AM, kechpaja wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 10:46:44AM -0400, SuStel wrote:

>>> This makes me wonder: is there a specific term that we know of meaning
>>> "to thrust either end of the bat'leth *downward*"? That seems to be a
>>> fairly common move in the combat shown on screen in Star Trek, usually
>>> parried by holding the blade horizontal to catch the thrust. Or would
>>> you just say {jop} and it would be assumed that that was what you were
>>> describing?
>> I'd expect *Qach* to be used for that motion; it's the same motion you'd
>> use with**an axe or club.
>>
> In KGT, {Qach} is defined as "wield or swing (a weapon)", without any
> specification as to which direction the weapon is being swung in, so it
> seems a bit more general than what I had in mind.

In the word-list, yes, but it's also explained as the specific word you
use for swinging an *'obmaQ* /ax (general word),/**a
*jey'naS*/double-headed ax/, an *'alngegh*/axe with an added spike at
the end,/ an *'aqleH*/ax with half a bat'leth at the end of a handle, a
/*jeqqIj */club, bludgeon, /and a *ghanjaq*/mace./

You typically swing axes and clubs overhand, in an arc downward, just as
SapIr was considering. Thus, I expect a bat'leth swing in the same
manner to use the same verb, *Qach.* I don't know for sure that *Qach*
means /swing a weapon in a downward arc as you would an ax or club,/ but
that's my working theory.