[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chaQ

kechpaja kechpaja at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 07:27:28 PDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 01:55:22PM +0000, Steven Boozer wrote:
> > Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, October 15, 2016
> >
> > Klingon word: chaQ
> > Part of speech: verb
> > Definition: thrust upward with end of *bat'leth*
>
> (KGT 59):  There is an extensive vocabulary for the moves associated with bat'leth use. To thrust or lunge toward one's opponent, for example, is {jop}. To deflect a thrust--that is, to parry--is {way'}. To thrust either end of the bat'leth (as opposed to the long part of the blade) upward is {chaQ}. To change the approximate orientation of the weapon from horizontal to vertical is {ngol}; the reverse is {lev}. To slide the blade of one's bat'leth along the blade of the opponent's weapon is {DIj}. To twirl or rotate the bat'leth is {jIrmoH} and to toss it from one hand to the other (the same word is used whether left to right or right to left) is {baQ}.

This makes me wonder: is there a specific term that we know of meaning
"to thrust either end of the bat'leth *downward*"? That seems to be a
fairly common move in the combat shown on screen in Star Trek, usually
parried by holding the blade horizontal to catch the thrust. Or would
you just say {jop} and it would be assumed that that was what you were
describing?

-SapIr