[tlhIngan Hol] Vanitas Vanitatum et Omnia Vanitas

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Fri Oct 7 08:21:51 PDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 2:13 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
> The intented meaning was "I was thinking: some time ago, each one of
> these people was living (alive)".

{ret} alone, without being preceded by an actual specifier of a time
period, is very odd. Translate it as just "ago" to see whether what
you wrote makes sense. You could add {DIS}, or you could replace it
with {ben}, to be "some years ago". You could use {pa'logh} "the past"
if you want to be really general. You could just say {yInpu'} "had
lived".

Do you really mean "each *one* of them", or is "each person" or "each
of them" sufficient? Or might you be okay with saying "all (of them)"?
In any case, the word {Hoch} ought to go either before or in place of
the noun it is referring to. If you actually want to say that each
individual person lived in turn, implying a focus on them one at a
time, {ngIq} might work instead, but I don't think that's what you
mean. The number {wa'} in Klingon usually isn't appropriate for the
kind of nonspecific "one" that you're trying to say. Try to avoid
stretching it beyond counting or labeling things.

-- ghunchu'wI'